Cult Heroes

Share
avatar
LiviCub

Posts : 754
Join date : 2014-06-27
Age : 23
Location : Livingston

Cult Heroes

Post by LiviCub on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Considering there's no game for us this weekend and to avoid the doom and gloom of what's happened (or about to happen) this week, I think it would be nice to know if any of you have any Amber Machine cult heroes?

In my opinion, a cult hero is someone who is loved by the majority of fans for reasons other than being the guy who made the most appearances or scored the most goals. It could just be one moment of magic or madness or something other than football related you can remember an ex or current Livi player being well known for in your eyes.

Apart from being at the League Cup final, I only started properly following Livingston since 2008, so my top three would be:

Raffa De Vita - A complete unknown when we signed him from Blackburn and it wasn't until we got demoted did he start getting a run of games due to his injury, I honestly loved the man. He looked so elegant with a great first touch, lovely finishing and had a classic Italian laidback style, even when we were chasing games for points. Moments that stick out include a beautiful volley against Forfar from about 25/30 yards out (ended up losing 3-2) or a winning goal against Queens Park away at Hampden.

Devon Jacobs - This is purely based on one game against Celtic in the Youth Cup semi-final back in 2010. From the first minute, he threw himself into a great tackle and had the left winger in his back pocket for the entire game, he was very unlucky to be on the losing side. I don't think we've had a right back as good as him since Bollan released him. Much better than those shites Johnny Brown, Kevin McCann, Maurice Ross or Mike Mampuya.

Murray Davidson - He came into the team at the wrong time because within one year we were forced to sell him. Pretty much the complete midfielder in my eyes at the time and he would've fitted in perfectly under a Bollan, Hughes or Evans team. Remember him scoring a great goal against Dunfermline too. Had that mobster not bought the club, I think we could've got another season or two out of him and got a much better tranfer fee.


Last edited by LiviCub on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3895
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Liviforever on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Big Marv, would run through a brick wall to header the ball and won everything in the air that came in our box. One of the best moments of a big Marv header was seeing Neil lennon going for a high ball in midfield, look up and see Marv totally focussed on the ball running towards him, stop dead in his tracks and just let Marv header it, shitbag. Very Happy  Totally destroyed us when he played for Raith in the 4-0 gubbing (think he scored 2 goals in that game), then we signed him the next again week. Had a heid like a thrupenny bit when heading a ball trying to score a goal but could head it as far as most players could kick it when heading it up the pitch. Prob the best CB we've had at Livi. bounce cheers



Philippe Brinquin was another with cult status in the good old days, used to be a bugle player at Livi games and always played La Marseillaise just for him. Great wee wingback that used to bomb down the wing.



Tbh you could stick any player from that era in, Bingo Bingham, Quino, Rubio, Broto, Roddy McKenzie, Dorado, McAllister (best LB ever at Livi and that goal in the CIS cup final), Lilley, Fernandez, Barry Wilson, O'Brien, Stevie Toshtastic, Captain Lovell.

Brian McPhee in the earlier years, and Gus Jawbroken for his infamous breaking of Henrik Larsson's jaw.

Durnford

Posts : 804
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Durnford on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Agree with all of the above but would add Dave MacKay (Mr Penalty) and Robbie Winters - maybe not a "great" in the truest sense of the word but a guy who always just got on with the job; no tantrums when dropped to the bench - just tried to get out there and do better.

There are many others that could have appeared but their subsequent antics when coming back the the Vale has done them no favours.
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Lexi Collector on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Iain Russell #1 <3
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3895
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Liviforever on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Durnford wrote:Agree with all of the above but would add Dave MacKay (Mr Penalty) and Robbie Winters - maybe not a "great" in the truest sense of the word but a guy who always just got on with the job; no tantrums when dropped to the bench - just tried to get out there and do better.

There are many others that could have appeared but their subsequent antics when coming back the the Vale has done them no favours.

James McPake too comes under that category, was always last off the pitch to give a big punch in the air towards the fans in triumph after a Livi win, and played with a passion we could do with this season.

Foxy was a true professional the way he conducted himself as a Livi player and also after leaving to sign for Raith. As you've said in your post D, a few could learn from him on how to conduct themselves.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3895
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Liviforever on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Do managers count?

Leishman was a legend at Livi, shame his heart was really at Dunfermline but he was fantastic at PR and engaging with the fans. Not had anyone like him at Livi since.
avatar
cptn_hooch

Posts : 97
Join date : 2014-09-15

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by cptn_hooch on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Agree with everyone so far.

Other ones are:

Robert Snodgrass - May have had a tough time with attitude but became a key player for us and has gone on to be the most successful of our youth system with a regular starting role for Scotland. Plus there's the legendary Barcelona trial story

Hassan Kachloul - I dont have anything to say on the man other than....LEGEND

Tomas Pesir - One of the most skillful players i've ever seen in a Livi shirt....shame his shooting wasn't as good

It's also possible for a player to be a cult legend for the wrong reasons like Attilla Kriston, Mariusz Liberda (Mario), Mark Tinkler (became better when moved into midfield but not much) and Jakub Hottek/David Luongo....the forgotten men



avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3895
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Liviforever on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 pm

How did we all forget Kachloul DOH! Ultimate Livi legend and what a goal from his first kick of a ball coming on as sub in his debut and scoring against Dunfermline with a free kick.
avatar
LiviCub

Posts : 754
Join date : 2014-06-27
Age : 23
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by LiviCub on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:30 am

Liviforever wrote:Do managers count?

Leishman was a legend at Livi, shame his heart was really at Dunfermline but he was fantastic at PR and engaging with the fans. Not had anyone like him at Livi since.

As cult managers go, Brian Welsh for me. One game, one win and playing liquid football.

Should've done all we could to give him the manager's job. Guided us to league titles every year as U-19s coach as well as two Youth Cup semi-finals. Brought up McNulty, Scougall, Kyle, Fordyce and Jamieson so I think he would've got more out of them than other managers did or have plus the likes of Ross Docherty, Coll Donaldson and Conor MacDonald.
avatar
Achilles

Posts : 191
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Achilles on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:40 am

Going by positions, my heroes would be

Goalkeeper. Javier Sanchez Broto - by far one of the best keepers scotland has seen in the last 20 years, absolutely outstanding in every game.

Defence - Phillipe brinquin(sp). Our best right back ever. No questions asked, defensively and attacking, he had it all.
Defence - Marvin Andrews. Won every ball, scores a few too
Defence - Julian Maidana - one of our argentine lads, was shithot from what I can remember.
Tomas Pesir - a truely gifted striker
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2177
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Achilles wrote:Going by positions, my heroes would be

Goalkeeper. Javier Sanchez Broto - by far one of the best keepers scotland has seen in the last 20 years, absolutely outstanding in every game.

Defence - Phillipe brinquin(sp). Our best right back ever. No questions asked, defensively and attacking, he had it all.
Defence - Marvin Andrews. Won every ball, scores a few too
Defence - Julian Maidana - one of our argentine lads, was shithot from what I can remember.
Tomas Pesir - a truely gifted striker

When did we become a 5-a-side team?
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2177
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:32 pm

If we are talking "cult heroes" surely by definition we are talking about guys that were considered heroes despite their lack of ability?

Ignore that question, I have just read LF's opening post on this thread again....not sure I agree with his definition (obviously as my definition above is different)



avatar
Achilles

Posts : 191
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Achilles on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:
Achilles wrote:Going by positions, my heroes would be

Goalkeeper. Javier Sanchez Broto - by far one of the best keepers scotland has seen in the last 20 years, absolutely outstanding in every game.

Defence - Phillipe brinquin(sp). Our best right back ever. No questions asked, defensively and attacking, he had it all.
Defence - Marvin Andrews. Won every ball, scores a few too
Defence - Julian Maidana - one of our argentine lads, was shithot from what I can remember.
Tomas Pesir - a truely gifted striker

When did we become a 5-a-side team?

I was absolutely smashed when I wrote this so surprised I managed to hit send!

Others would be

Quino - easily the best player we have had
Xausa - he was a quality player to have up front
Fernandez - for obvious reasons
Manu Dorado - hero! Said he wants to come back as he has unfinished business - I'd pay his wages
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2177
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Can't argue with your team as a possible best ever Livi XI except I'd have Barry Wilson in ahead of Xausa (unless of course you were going for a non-Scottish XI) but I wouldn't say they were "cult heroes", these guys are simply some of our best ever players.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3895
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Liviforever on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:11 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Can't argue with your team as a possible best ever Livi XI except I'd have Barry Wilson in ahead of Xausa (unless of course you were going for a non-Scottish XI) but I wouldn't say they were "cult heroes", these guys are simply some of our best ever players.

Cult heroes are never the best players in your side and they should always have at least one massive weakness which you love them for having all the same

I suppose Hippo ticks the boxes, had some great moments scoring the winning goal in games but is a bit shite most of the time, and has the feed the hippo tagline which got him his cult status.
– he’s a bit rubbish, he occasionally has moments of sublime quality
Yep def Hippo.

The likes of Marv, Broto, Brinquin, they were cult figures with the fans and had a cult status in the stands. When the fans sing your name then you have a cult status and most of the players named so far had that. Difficult to say they weren't cult heroes but if they aren't allowed to be that then they were def fans favourites.

Sponsored content

Re: Cult Heroes

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 pm