St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Share
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Liviforever on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Not sure if Mullen is suspended for this after his red card in the League cup but may be wise to leave him out for his own safety.

Wouldn't mind seeing Georgiev start if Mullen is out, he was working well with Hippo when he came on last night and looked too much for them with his darting runs. Think Buchanan and Pittman were excellent together too, Pittman linked up well to bring Buchanan into the game more, and with the wingbacks getting down the wings Hippo was able to get the ball across the box too so a 5 man midfield with Buchanan up front would work for this game.


I'd start:


...................................DJ


Millen..............Gallagher......Gordon...........Longridge


....Gibbons........Cole.................Georgiev...........Hippo


..........................Pittman

..........................Buchanan


Bound to be a tighter game after playing them midweek, i'll go for an optimistic 2-1 Livi win. FG 40 mins

forzalfc

Posts : 143
Join date : 2015-01-28

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by forzalfc on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Aye Mullen is out... agree it'd be good to see Georgiev, maybe down the right though with Gibbons in the centre.

1-0 Livi. Few yellow cards and a red for one of their lot.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:50 pm

OK...we won in the cup & by all accounts were the better side....therefore we will lose on Saturday

Paisley 2 Livi 1

FG 18 mins
avatar
LiviCub

Posts : 753
Join date : 2014-06-27
Age : 23
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by LiviCub on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 pm

I know Spaz done well when he came on but I would start with Glen to replace Mullen. Glen's final ball is better and Spaz would be more useful against tired legs as we saw last night.

1-1. FG 24 mins.
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Lexi Collector on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:39 am

St Mirren fans have been doing a lot of crying and moaning on twitter, especially with regards to the Danny Mullen incident, however a lot of them have also acknowledged that their team are pish, so they haven't quite reached Cowdenbeath/Dumbarton/Hearts levels of cuntery yet.

Didn't see the game on Tuesday but I've read a lot of good things about Gibbons, so my starting 11 would probably be the same as the OP, although maybe drop Hips and bring in Gary Glen. It's just not working with big shags the now unfortunately, and from what I've read there was better link-up play with Buchanan. By all accounts we've been more or less non existent up front this season, a few long-range efforts V Clyde and a couple of scrappy goals v QOS and Falkirk, but we hit St Mirren for 3 under the current formation, so why change it?

I hope there's hot atmosphere, loads of tackles and angry benches and Paisley people swearing in the stands and coming up to you outside the ground telling you you're a c*** and that your club is a disgrace. That's what pumps me up at Livi games, man. Blood and thunder and hatred and anger. Tuesday sounded like the kind of game I'd love to be at.

Predictions: heart, 2-1 Livi, Shags scoring a late winner and jumping in with the Livi fans, St Mirren fans exploding and Murray and Burchill letting loose on the touchline at FT. Me to look like this all the way back across the M8: Greggy

My actual prediction is 2-1, St Mirren though.

Heading through with EL, so we'll probably nick a couple of local burds and go to a champagne party in Glasgow on the Saturday evening, with big shags the guest of honour of course.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Liviforever on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:21 am

forzalfc wrote:Aye Mullen is out... agree it'd be good to see Georgiev, maybe down the right though with Gibbons in the centre.

1-0 Livi. Few yellow cards and a red for one of their lot.

I just stuck Georgiev there because that's where him and Hippo were playing when he came on and Hippo just wanders about wherever the feck he wants anyway. Laughing

I liked the bench we had for that game too and would be happy if Glen or Georgiev played.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Liviforever on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:35 am

Lexi Collector wrote:St Mirren fans have been doing a lot of crying and moaning on twitter, especially with regards to the Danny Mullen incident, however a lot of them have also acknowledged that their team are pish, so they haven't quite reached Cowdenbeath/Dumbarton/Hearts levels of cuntery yet.

Didn't see the game on Tuesday but I've read a lot of good things about Gibbons, so my starting 11 would probably be the same as the OP, although maybe drop Hips and bring in Gary Glen. It's just not working with big shags the now unfortunately, and from what I've read there was better link-up play with Buchanan. By all accounts we've been more or less non existent up front this season, a few long-range efforts V Clyde and a couple of scrappy goals v QOS and Falkirk, but we hit St Mirren for 3 under the current formation, so why change it?

I hope there's hot atmosphere, loads of tackles and angry benches and Paisley people swearing in the stands and coming up to you outside the ground telling you you're a c*** and that your club is a disgrace. That's what pumps me up at Livi games, man. Blood and thunder and hatred and anger. Tuesday sounded like the kind of game I'd love to be at.

Predictions: heart, 2-1 Livi, Shags scoring a late winner and jumping in with the Livi fans, St Mirren fans exploding and Murray and Burchill letting loose on the touchline at FT. Me to look like this all the way back across the M8: Greggy

My actual prediction is 2-1, St Mirren though.

Heading through with EL, so we'll probably nick a couple of local burds and go to a champagne party in Glasgow on the Saturday evening, with big shags the guest of honour of course.

Yeah it was pretty heated right enough, their fans were shouting for red cards and penalties all game while booing the ref for every foul he gave our way and claiming none of their players deserved to be booked. I was thoroughly entertained by them, also really funny when Livi fans were taking the piss out of them and winding them up.

I thought Falkirk fans were bad for wanting everything to be a foul when our players won the ball off them but St Mirren fans take some beating.
avatar
orco

Posts : 426
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by orco on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:44 am

It was a good game to watch - full of blood and guts. I wouldn't want that level of bad temper every game but on a dreich Tuesday night in Paisley it was entertaining.
Glad to see Buchanan get a goal at last and what a peach it was. I hope it spurs him on to more.
I said just before the free kick that gave them their second - DJ's positioning is inviting a shot into that top left corner and Wham. Hate being right sometimes. I don't know why. but he is looking a bit less confident this season.
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Lexi Collector on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:03 pm

I've been thinking about dropping DJ and bringing Gould in for a few weeks now. His kicking is absolutely abysmal.

Durnford

Posts : 797
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Durnford on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:I've been thinking about dropping DJ and bringing Gould in for a few weeks now. His kicking is absolutely abysmal.

In the Falkirk match he clearly didn't see Gallagher and the bench all shouting to give it to him before booting it aimlessly down the middle.

In all seriousness I'm wondering if he needs a eye test. He can obviously see reasonably well close up but after about 10 yards? I wonder.

Could also explain why he is so good at stopping penalties but suspect at free kicks from further out?
avatar
orco

Posts : 426
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by orco on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:27 am

I doubt very much that tomorrow's match will be a re-run of Tuesday. I can't see St Mirren playing as poorly as they did and the incident at the end of the game with Mullen will fire them up enough to put in increased effort.
Incidentally I am reading that the Saints fellow involved in that career threatening (maybe even life threatening Rolling Eyes ) injury may be in contention for a place in tomorrow's team.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 882
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 21
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by LiviLion on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 am

2-1 St Mirren, FG 27 mins.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Liviforever on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:57 pm

orco wrote:I doubt very much that tomorrow's match will be a re-run of Tuesday. I can't see St Mirren playing as poorly as they did and the incident at the end of the game with Mullen will fire them up enough to put in increased effort.
Incidentally I am reading that the Saints fellow involved in that career threatening (maybe even life threatening Rolling Eyes ) injury may be in contention for a place in tomorrow's team.

They weren't holding back in the last match either, right from the start their player cut down a Livi player and then Goodwin elbowed Mullen in the head and they had 2 yellow cards from their first two "tackles".

Funny how fans see things so differently though, reading comments on P&B that there was nothing wrong with their first booking and Goodwin was the victim of Mullen backing into his Elbow and then making a meal of it to the ref.



John McKendrick is the match official for tomorrow.
avatar
orco

Posts : 426
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by orco on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Liviforever wrote:


John McKendrick is the match official for tomorrow.

He refereed the second Clyde match this season. I missed that game so don't know how he performed.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Liviforever on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:51 pm

orco wrote:
Liviforever wrote:


John McKendrick is the match official for tomorrow.

He refereed the second Clyde match this season. I missed that game so don't know how he performed.

Was better than Crawford Allan anyway, he booked their clugger no6, so hopefully he'll book elbows Goodwin and curtail his thuggery.
avatar
EdinburghLivi
Admin

Posts : 774
Join date : 2014-06-09
Age : 25
Location : Edz

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by EdinburghLivi on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:25 pm

2-0 them. 35 mins
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:34 pm

So a 1-1 draw then? Any controversial moments?
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Liviforever on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Good game from Livi, deserved all 3 points from our 2nd half performance.

A few dodgy moments in the 1st half with some crazy passing, Hippo deciding to pass back to DJ and didn't see their player standing in between him and DJ, DJ had to be out smartish to clear it away. Disappointing goal to lose too, we got caught with a ball over the top playing a high line and Sives being the last man, however Sives caught up with their player, got goal side of him then allowed him to turn and get hs shot off, think he slipped.

After a slow start we got ourselves into the game and were the better team, Hippo fouled with his quick burst of pace getting to the ball first, St Mirren fans raging and booing him all game afterwards, was just bursting for him to score the winner to get it right up them. Laughing  Buchanan cooly slotted the penalty home.

Cole was my MoTM, I've slagged him in prev games this season but on Tues and then today he's been well worth his place in midfield, solid as a rock today doing his midfield enforcer, really stood up to everything and won most 50/50's.

Thought Pittman was quiet today, didn't get into the game at all after being outstanding Tues night and was subbed for Glen at HT. Thought Faria did well when he came on too. And White was almost the hero coming on late and getting an outstretched leg to a great Hippo ball into the box but it went just wide after beating Clangers.

Best game I've seen from DJ with his kick outs, don't think he hit one ball out the park and was really solid with his kicks. Clangers on the other hand was shocking.
Only criticism of DJ was his pissing about near the end dropping on the ball and taking ages getting up and getting on with the game, we were by far the most likeliest to win that game and was doing us no favours wasting time.

A couple of last man fouls on Livi players only getting yellow cards from McKendrick but on the whole I thought he was the best ref we've had this season, even gave us a pen which is a rarity seeing match officials awarding Livi anything.

Still not best pleased playing Gallagher at RB and having Sives/Gordon as the CB pairing but wasn't as bad as I've seen in prev games and we are getting the ball down more and playing decent football.

Bit of a bummer only getting the 1 point but it gets us up and running and can see the team beginning to play well together.


Last edited by Liviforever on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Lexi Collector on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:47 pm

Really liked the look of Gibbons today, I thought he was our MOTM. Carried the ball well and always found space in midfield to give us a more attacking sense. Cole was very solid and won most 50/50s and tackles after his error which gave the goal away. Pittman looked very dangerous first half and absolutely ripped them to shreds, was a shame he had to come off. I like what Hippolyte does, he twists and turns and gave Goodwin a headache all game, but a lot of his attempts were weak or over-ambitious and he lacks a bit of urgency at times. Big Shags was unlucky not to win it for us late on, but it was a dodgy angle and he was at full stretch. Pass marks for more or less everyone. Jamieson was wasting time towards the end when I felt we carried more of a threat and looked the more likely to win. Some of his kicking was pish as well, I'd like to see Gould start, but it's probably a bit unfair to drop Jamieson just now.

A little disappointed not to win, but I'd have taken 1-1 before kick-off. St Mirren are shite, and I'm convinced they're not as good a side as us. Nice little ground though and some top class camaraderie on the M8 on the way home with EL and Livi Cub. Hopefully onwards and upwards and we can get the 3 points against Morton next week. We looked decent at times today and played some good stuff, can't say I'm pissed off with Livi this weekend.
avatar
fanfromday1

Posts : 35
Join date : 2015-08-15

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by fanfromday1 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Probably sums up how Livi played that I am disappointed with just the one point against a side that was in the PL last season.

Other than the first 10 minutes when we were sloppy with our passing and consequently lost a preventable goal, our league performance was much better than the previous two.

I'm not getting carried away and will reserve judgement until we play Morton at home next week to see whether have turned a corner.

Today's game was encouraging, lets build on it.
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Lexi Collector on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:09 pm

fanfromday1 wrote:Probably sums up how Livi played that I am disappointed with just the one point against a side that was in the PL last season.

Other than the first 10 minutes when we were sloppy with our passing and consequently lost a preventable goal, our league performance was much better than the previous two.

I'm not getting carried away and will reserve judgement until we play Morton at home next week to see whether have turned a corner.

Today's game was encouraging, lets build on it.

St Mirren sat very deep and gave us a lot of space in midfield, when usually teams playing us pack the midfield in really tight and we struggle to build momentum. I don't know how Morton will set out. We played quite well today, but I think St Mirren's tactics gave us an advantage that we haven't had in previous league games.

Durnford

Posts : 797
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Durnford on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Its interesting how people see things differently; I thought Cole was appalling; I wouldn't have had him in the side let alone man of the match. His giving the ball away cheaply kept putting us under pressure.

Apart from the first ten or so minutes everyone else got at least pass marks in my books; Pittman; Buchannan and Hippolyte got fouled at every opportunity; the buddies right back held on to Hippolytes shirt so many times I just want to let him know they can be purchased in the club shop.

For the fifteen or so minutes he was on that's the best contribution I've seen from White in a long time; he really seemed to be causing them some real problems. Gary Glen started slowly but put in a really impressive last half an hour; the young lad can put in an excellent tackle but still come up with the ball.

A slack mis-pass by Longridge resulted in him giving the ball away to the opposition but the young man busted a gut getting back to put in a last minute tackle. Thought Hippolyte was man of the match for me.

Faria when he came on really showed why Burchill was so keen to get him on the books; a really commanding display.

St. Mirren need to be grateful that Alloa are in the same league as them.

Durnford

Posts : 797
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Durnford on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm

I really would have loved to have come away with all three points today if only to repay their supporters for their racial abuse dished out against Hippolyte by a couple of their "gentlemen".

Thought the clubs were meant to clamp down on such things?
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Lexi Collector on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Durnford wrote:Its interesting how people see things differently; I thought Cole was appalling; I wouldn't have had him in the side let alone man of the match. His giving the ball away cheaply kept putting us under pressure.

Apart from the first ten or so minutes everyone else got at least pass marks in my books; Pittman; Buchannan and Hippolyte got fouled at every opportunity; the buddies right back held on to Hippolytes shirt so many times I just want to let him know they can be purchased in the club shop.

For the fifteen or so minutes he was on that's the best contribution I've seen from White in a long time; he really seemed to be causing them some real problems. Gary Glen started slowly but put in a really impressive last half an hour; the young lad can put in an excellent tackle but still come up with the ball.

A slack mis-pass by Longridge resulted in him giving the ball away to the opposition but the young man busted a gut getting back to put in a last minute tackle. Thought Hippolyte was man of the match for me.

Faria when he came on really showed why Burchill was so keen to get him on the books; a really commanding display.

St. Mirren need to be grateful that Alloa are in the same league as them.

So do we, tbh.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Make an official complaint D.

Sponsored content

Re: St Mirren v Livi (Grudge Match)

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:57 am