Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Share

Poll

Who would you like to be next manager

[ 1 ]
7% [7%] 
[ 2 ]
14% [14%] 
[ 4 ]
29% [29%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 2 ]
14% [14%] 
[ 1 ]
7% [7%] 
[ 3 ]
21% [21%] 
[ 1 ]
7% [7%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 14
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Liviforever on Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Players were punching the air towards the fans after the 4th goal and the fans in turn were giving it big licks backing the players, had a touch of the end of season run in (Cowden game) feel to it. Think both the players and the fans needed a result like this to give everyone a lift after the last two weeks.
avatar
LiviCub

Posts : 720
Join date : 2014-06-27
Age : 23
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by LiviCub on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Hopkin is Brian Welsh in disguise.

ol1vercloff

Posts : 68
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by ol1vercloff on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:08 am

Afro wrote:The list of names that LiviLion's posted would make you fucking greet.

Totally agree.  I'd like to think that if Ford has the money to stick Burchill on gardening leave for the next year or two, he has the money to appoint a Manager that has a decent-ish reputation and hasn't been chased out of their last couple of jobs (looking at you, Danny Lennon).  

However, Darren Young is an intriguing one.  We struggled to beat his Albion Rovers side last season...but then we struggled to beat a lot of teams.

Names like McCoist, Calderwood and McCall on that list...is that a case of McBookies struggling to think of any more names for their list?  Never in a million years.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 818
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 21
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by LiviLion on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:04 pm

David Hopkin takes charge until the end of the season.
avatar
fanfromday1

Posts : 32
Join date : 2015-08-15

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by fanfromday1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Shocking decision, absolutely shocking.

A cheap option that will take us nowhere except down. If that dross last Saturday is a sign of things to come then the club better start preparing for League 1 next season now.

I've supported the club in its many weird decisions over the years but this one is stretching that support to the max.

Durnford

Posts : 705
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Durnford on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:36 pm

At times like this I'm almost nostalgic for the Ged Nixon years
avatar
Afro

Posts : 517
Join date : 2014-06-14

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Afro on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:38 pm

That's the type of appointment that doesn't just relegate clubs, it absolutely destroys them. I've nothing against David Hopkin personally but he's been shown up to be nothing more than a coach the past three games - the demolition of St Mirren was on the cards given the way they had played against us this season previously; the defeats last week to Falkirk and Queen of the South were bizarre in the extreme firstly due to his team selection then latterly the style of play which he chose to utilise. Wrong choice, and changes nothing in my mind given the very obvious links he had to the previous manager. If we were going to appoint Hopkin anyway, what's the point in still paying Burchill to sit in his house on a Saturday afternoon? Total lunacy, but I expect nothing else from this football club at the moment.

The club needed a fresh, modern appointment, someone who had the potential to unite the club as a whole (a monumental task I'm sure most would agree), someone who wouldn't just keep us ticking along, but actually make us something. For all his failings with apparent defensive tactics, the man who springs to mind when I think of the type of manager we should be appointing is Billy Reid, when he was at Accies. Let's not beat round the bush: Hamilton were, and still are to a degree, absolute diddies. But Reid pushed them on, made a group of players overachieve, and provided the final step in a pathway to professional football for young players from their youth academy. They had a plan in place, and Billy Reid subscribed to that plan and led it from the front. Fuck, they sold two players for seven figure sums, and are potentially still about to make a killing off it from McCarthy's sell-on clause IIRC. Their crowds are no better than ours normally, we are around the same size, but here we are, playing shite football, up to our eyes in debt, a blurry boardroom situation for the umpteenth time recently, and struggling in the second tier. They're in the Premiership, doing okay, turning a profit and playing not bad football. That's the difference.

There's no plan, no transparency, and no ambition. An utterly nothing club if I ever seen one.

Durnford

Posts : 705
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Durnford on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Simple question - if/when we end up in the relegation play-off spot at the end of the season; will we have the metal to pull ourselves out of it?
avatar
LiviCub

Posts : 720
Join date : 2014-06-27
Age : 23
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by LiviCub on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:49 pm

"We are where we are" as people say, so he's been appointed and there's nothing further we can speculate or comment on.

Nah scrap that: We are currently 9th in the league and will remain 9th when the season finishes and we get soundly beaten over two legs by Albion Rovers.

jaykay

Posts : 5
Join date : 2015-12-12

Hopkin Head Coach

Post by jaykay on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Thought he made it clear that Youth Development was his forte ...........
Would almost prefer to bring Burchill back and tell him to what to do.
Difficult to see this as progress, although keeping Hopkin could be for the longer term benefit of youth development, which is where we really need to get back to and start producing young players again.
Anyway, good luck David, I hope you're brave enough to go out and try and win games and make the changes when it's not working .........
You need three draws to get the same points and one win!
avatar
livikev

Posts : 19
Join date : 2014-11-24

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by livikev on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:47 pm

No NO NO Please no this is 3 steps back , as far as i can see - cheap and nasty option.
Don't think I'll be back this season after this decision.
avatar
livikev

Posts : 19
Join date : 2014-11-24

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by livikev on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:52 pm

As i said on other thread , this is the cheap and nasty option. I will not be back this season IT'S SHITE.
Arseholes running the club don't have a clue and don't care about the fans.

Saturday was disgraceful , I can't watch that PISS , it will be groundhog day every saturday .

Troy

Posts : 253
Join date : 2015-11-10
Age : 59
Location : Craigshill

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Troy on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Absolutly shocking and guttless decision by the the club this afternoon.Wonder how many of our nearest competitors will be quaking in their boots or laughing their heads of at us.Once again the board has shown a complete and severe lack of foresight and ambition towards us.You thought the recent attendances were poor,wait till you see whats coming.Kind of get the feeling weve been shafted yet again.Disgracefull Livi.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Liviforever on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Durnford wrote:Simple question - if/when we end up in the relegation play-off spot at the end of the season; will we have the metal to pull ourselves out of it?

I'm not so sure we'll avoid straight relegation, Alloa are only 7 points behind us and have taken measures to make themselves very difficult to beat at home, by narrowing their pitch. Falkirk struggled to beat them last week after they'd done it, they may well pick up enough points at home to get above us.


Really don't see the point of sacking Burchill and appointing Hopkin, we actually look worse under him. That's the first game against QoS this season where they looked superior to us.

At the start of the season we lost a lot of games where we looked the better team, now we look like we deserve to lose.

Did we actually conduct interviews and thought this was the best option? Sure as hell isn't what's best for the team, just a cheap option which will cost us big time when we're relegated.

Actually looks like Ford is wanting us relegated, is this part of the plan to destroy the club and make some money from some planned deal Rankine has, i'm getting paranoid now because it looks very dodgy.

ol1vercloff

Posts : 68
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by ol1vercloff on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:48 pm

I go back and forth on the Hopkin appointment.  You could have almost predicted that he would get the job for the same reason that Burchill got the job last season.  But having read his interview in one of the papers recently where he gave a frank assessment of the club and that changes in playing staff are required, I think that he could possibly get us going again.  The guy has played at a high level in his day and surely knows a thing or two about a winning team.  Personally, I am going to reserve judgement on this appointment until the end of the transfer window and see who he gets rid of, who he brings in and if we improve.

The 'fans' that 'won't be back this season' should be ashamed of themselves.  Every team in the land would go bust if their supporters stopped turning up when they hit a bad patch...granted our bad patch has last a good year or two.  I genuinely believe we have the worst fans in the world, so unrealistic and too many people looking for value for money instead of supporting your team.  I know we will never ever be on the same level as teams like Newcastle Utd but you look at their awful slump in form which you could argue started when Graeme Souness took over all those years ago but their fans are as dedicated and passionate about their team as any team on the planet and I just wonder why we can't attempt to mirror them.

Cue the negative responses, let's be havin' ya :-D
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Liviforever on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 pm

When Newcastle have gone through 2 admins, constant signing embargo's, lost all their best players and  had them replaced by junior league ones, had a punishment of being demoted to the bottom tier, and are still being screwed by the bampots in charge of their club, then i'll compare like for like with their great fans.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 1975
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 am

fanfromday1 wrote:Shocking decision, absolutely shocking.

A cheap option that will take us nowhere except down. If that dross last Saturday is a sign of things to come then the club better start preparing for League 1 next season now.

I've supported the club in its many weird decisions over the years but this one is stretching that support to the max.  

For "cheap" read "only financial" - or do you really think they could afford to part company with Burchill & Hopkin & also bring in someone new?

In truth this decision is not a surprise; in fact punting Burchill to gardening leave was really the only surprise as they are still paying him for nothing; there was still a slim chance that he could have rekindled the form of the last month of last season.

Bottom line is it is all about what we can afford to do to survive financially & punting another guy from the club but having to pay him off or put him on gardening leave alongside Burchy AND bring in someone new on another salary was NEVER going to happen.

We don't like it but we're supporters of the club not the individuals within it, so lets get behind them & rather than be part of the problem lets be part of the solution.

orco

Posts : 366
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by orco on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:40 am

Liviforever wrote:When Newcastle have gone through 2 admins, constant signing embargo's, lost all their best players and  had them replaced by junior league ones, had a punishment of being demoted to the bottom tier, and are still being screwed by the bampots in charge of their club, then i'll compare like for like with their great fans.

That made me laugh. Laughing

PS I still owe you a tenner!
avatar
livikev

Posts : 19
Join date : 2014-11-24

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by livikev on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:48 am

ol1vercloff wrote:I go back and forth on the Hopkin appointment.  You could have almost predicted that he would get the job for the same reason that Burchill got the job last season.  But having read his interview in one of the papers recently where he gave a frank assessment of the club and that changes in playing staff are required, I think that he could possibly get us going again.  The guy has played at a high level in his day and surely knows a thing or two about a winning team.  Personally, I am going to reserve judgement on this appointment until the end of the transfer window and see who he gets rid of, who he brings in and if we improve.

The 'fans' that 'won't be back this season' should be ashamed of themselves.  Every team in the land would go bust if their supporters stopped turning up when they hit a bad patch...granted our bad patch has last a good year or two.  I genuinely believe we have the worst fans in the world, so unrealistic and too many people looking for value for money instead of supporting your team.  I know we will never ever be on the same level as teams like Newcastle Utd but you look at their awful slump in form which you could argue started when Graeme Souness took over all those years ago but their fans are as dedicated and passionate about their team as any team on the planet and I just wonder why we can't attempt to mirror them.

Cue the negative responses, let's be havin' ya :-D


They've already got my money for this season as they've had every season since coming to Livingston , Its my choice whether to continue attending for the rest of this season and quite frankly I can't see anything to encourage me to continue for the rest of it.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Not a fan of this decision either but we'll see how things go when he puts 'his stamp' on the team. Hopefully he can bring in some decent-ish players to help improve the team and give us more options from the bench too. Spas and Moses could go for all the use they've been, Cole and Sives are both long term injuries so would be harsh punting them, but both are surplus to requirement even if fit, Cole esp has been disappointing in the games he has played.

“We’ve not got any money to make any wholesale changes and that’s not something I would do. We might have to try and move a couple of people on this month before we can bring some in, but I’ve not got a lot to work with. We want to bring players in who are ready to go straight into the squad and ready to play.”

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/livingston/david-hopkin-glad-to-ward-off-livingston-foes-1-3992665#ixzz3wSmqtw00
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 818
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 21
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by LiviLion on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Why do Livi fans have to be so fucking dramatic all the time? Swear every time something happens it's met with a "AH WULLNY BE BACK!!!!". Even on the other side when people say "we have the worst fans in the world". Behave yourself.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:
fanfromday1 wrote:Shocking decision, absolutely shocking.

A cheap option that will take us nowhere except down. If that dross last Saturday is a sign of things to come then the club better start preparing for League 1 next season now.

I've supported the club in its many weird decisions over the years but this one is stretching that support to the max.  

For "cheap" read "only financial" - or do you really think they could afford to part company with Burchill & Hopkin & also bring in someone new?

In truth this decision is not a surprise; in fact punting Burchill to gardening leave was really the only surprise as they are still paying him for nothing; there was still a slim chance that he could have rekindled the form of the last month of last season.

Bottom line is it is all about what we can afford to do to survive financially & punting another guy from the club but having to pay him off or put him on gardening leave alongside Burchy AND bring in someone new on another salary was NEVER going to happen.

We don't like it but we're supporters of the club not the individuals within it, so lets get behind them & rather than be part of the problem lets be part of the solution.

Fair enough if they can't afford a new manager, but why go with the whole pretence of looking at cv's of possible candidates, if they only had one option in the first place. I wish they'd just be straight up with us for a change.

Stupid of them to give Burchill a 2 year contract at the start of the season too, but then maybe he said it was the only way he'd continue as manager, and we were in such a mess pre season with the signing embargo and only have about 5 players Burchill was the only person they could get to manage Livi.

We're such a badly run club, it's just one balls up after another.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 1975
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Much as I hated the way Burchill stood about against Dumbarton & Alloa looking like a wee lost boy; I still think that he should have had more time given the circumstances that you describe...he agreed to take the job on but was hamstrung by the embargo, so maybe he asked for 2 years to sort it out which would have been reasonable & brought some stability but they have punted him in under 6 months...maybe he was expecting or was tipped off that it was going to happen & that affected his desire in the last couple of games. I have heard that even after he kept us up with a cup last season that he only kept his job by a 3-2 vote (only heard this second hand so don't know how true it is).

Given the decent comments I had heard about Gordon Ford ahead of him taking over I was expecting more from him than we are seeing...could be stuff going on that we are unable to see but I also expected more transparency; so that is disappointing.

ol1vercloff

Posts : 68
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by ol1vercloff on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Liviforever wrote:When Newcastle have gone through 2 admins, constant signing embargo's, lost all their best players and  had them replaced by junior league ones, had a punishment of being demoted to the bottom tier, and are still being screwed by the bampots in charge of their club, then i'll compare like for like with their great fans.

Those things shouldn't determine how well supported a team is. Those that give up when things get rough are normally referred to as fair weather fans. You either support the team you love whatever happens or you don't call yourself a supporter.

livikev wrote:They've already got my money for this season as they've had every season since coming to Livingston , Its my choice whether to continue attending for the rest of this season and quite frankly I can't see anything to encourage me to continue for the rest of it.

Exactly the kind of attitude that doesn't help the club. Things won't improve if people stop going.

LiviLion wrote:Even on the other side when people say "we have the worst fans in the world". Behave yourself.

We're not exactly an example of the best fans in the world, are we?

A lot of our fans are passionate about bollocking the players and management but not passionate about supporting or following the team. Pretty grim.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Much as I hated the way Burchill stood about against Dumbarton & Alloa looking like a wee lost boy; I still think that he should have had more time given the circumstances that you describe...he agreed to take the job on but was hamstrung by the embargo, so maybe he asked for 2 years to sort it out which would have been reasonable & brought some stability but they have punted him in under 6 months...maybe he was expecting or was tipped off that it was going to happen & that affected his desire in the last couple of games. I have heard that even after he kept us up with a cup last season that he only kept his job by a 3-2 vote (only heard this second hand so don't know how true it is).

Given the decent comments I had heard about Gordon Ford ahead of him taking over I was expecting more from him than we are seeing...could be stuff going on that we are unable to see but I also expected more transparency; so that is disappointing.

I've heard a similar story to that, you don't know what to believe down there.

Sponsored content

Re: Burchill Sacked, Hopkin New Head Coach

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:47 am