Should Brexit vote open the door for another Indy referendum?

Poll

Should the fact Scotland voted remain but are forced to leave by England/Wales?

[ 6 ]
100% [100%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 6
Bertie Bassett

Should Brexit vote open the door for another Indy referendum?

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:38 pm

With Scotland voting overwhelmingly to "remain" but being forced to leave as part of the UK Brexit result, should there be another referendum on independence?

In my view the answer is yes it should; had it been closer up here (eg a reversal of the UK percentages) then I would have said no but it simply wasn't close up here.

I would also say that Northern Ireland should hold a referendum for them to reunite with the Republic. It was just reported that a number of Northern Irish people are trying to get dual citizenship with their Republican "cousins". At least they have that option.
Liviforever

Re: Should Brexit vote open the door for another Indy referendum?

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm

It's in the SNP mandate and they'll hold a vote on it in Parliament, if that is carried then IndyRef2 is def on. Westminster would still have to give it the go ahead right enough but it would be on the cards from a Scottish Parliament's pov.

I've seen a lot of people who voted No in the first IndyRef say they'd vote Yes this time now we've been taken out of the EU against our wishes.

So far since the vote to stay a part of the UK we've got a Government we didn't vote for and have been taken out of the EU when we voted to stay in, if ever there was a point proven about what little power we have over deciding our own future when we're a part of the UK this is it.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Absolutely, and people wonder why there are supporters of getting our independence.

Also if Westminster were to say no to another Indy ref there is always the option of UDI - assuming there was a yes vote of course.
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:03 pm

A referendum isn't really final, only advisory. So Cameron could have came out and told Brexiters to piss off, and that we're staying. Instead he resigned, which in my opinion killed off any chance of a Brexit anyway.

If Boris Johnson doesn't run for Conservative leader, he's finished. If he wins and doesn't trigger article 50, he's finished. If he wins and triggers article 50 then Scotland will vote independence, and Norn Iron might get unity with the Republic. In that case he, along with the "United" Kingdom, is finished.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Brexit haven't even got a plan, they said No10 should've had one, fecking hell. Laughing

Seems Sturgeon is the only one who has a plan in place on what to do if this happened. I doubt Brexit actually thought they would win and now they have they haven't a clue what to do about it.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:59 pm

You've got too many words in there LF; the Brexit mob simply don't have a clue.

Nicola has once again shown more leadership ability than anyone else.

I would find it absolutely hilarious if Holyrood CAN veto the decision. We would finally give England a taste of what we have had to suffer politically for years (not getting what we vote for).
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:01 am

I don't think they can block it, but I also don't think any of the Brexit mob want to invoke article 50, Cameron wont do it and he's resigning, whoever takes over wont want to do it, it is one big mess. Boris has gone very quiet, kept his head down when being asked by reporters what his plans were, was all mouth before and the day after the referendum though.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:14 pm

The thinking is that because it relates to devolved powers (don't know which) then Holyrood can veto.

Whatever the facts on the matter though it is interesting to see the shambles it has caused. And for the life of me I don't know why they didn't see it coming, I wasn't following that closely but the result was almost exactly as I expected, a narrow win for Brexit and Scotland voting the polar opposite, I also thought NI would want to stay, the only thing I got wrong was Wales as I thought they would want to stay and I was surprised that London wanted to stay but as they are within England it didn't really matter.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:29 pm

From what I've read Westminster has the final say, same as they have with us getting an Indyref2. Imo Sturgeon is only doing this to make it look like she did everything possible before another Indyref vote and doesn't want to go straight for it. There will be people sick to death of referendums and if it looks like she had tried all other avenues before being left with no choice but to ask for another one there will be more chance of getting their backing.

Doesn't surprise me about London being a remain vote, they're reliant on financial trading, and that will be hit badly with banks and companies leaving London for ROI to be able to trade in the EU, they're already trying to negotiate to keep trading with the EU.

Wales seem to think it is as simple as transferring all the funding they get from the EU to the UK Govt, that is not going to happen, they've made a huge mistake there. Same as the ones that swallowed the 350M a week sent to the EU 'COULD' go into helping the NHS, aint going to happen.

Also the Govt doesn't actually have to go through with the ref Brexit vote, it is only advisory, it is not legally binding. There is a lot to negotiate and work out, as well as a new Tory leader to elect and they may well decide it is just too big a price to pay for the country to go through with the EU exit. It could trigger a recession, the break up of the UK, the UK economy may not recover for many years and it has already gone through years of austerity cuts.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Westminster could say no to indyref2 but we can then "go rogue" and invoke a unilateral declaration of independence, effectively a political mutiny.

The right to veto could end up in a court case...

Apparently Sturgeon has said something like "Project fear is over, project farce has begun" lol

Whatever happens we are living in interesting times
Whitburn Vale

Post by Whitburn Vale on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:02 pm

It's time for Scotland to get out of the UK, it's like flogging a dead horse now,time to go!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am