Scotland v England

Bertie Bassett

Scotland v England

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Can't see past a comfortable England win; 3-0

Hoping of course that we pull off a surprise.
Liviforever

Re: Scotland v England

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Snoddy and Griffiths playing, mon the ex Livi players.

Snoddy looking good early on, setting Anya up to get the cross in, and Griffiths just got a shot into their keeper.

Brown being typical Brown and getting booked for going through a player. Gets away with it in Scotland right enough.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:26 pm

England starting to get time to move the ball around now. Only a matter of time till they score if this keeps up.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Was hoping for a penalty there.

A lot better from Scotland, managing to pass it about and keeping possession for wee spells. Takes a bit of pressure off our defence.

First really clear shot at goal there too.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:33 pm

1-0 England, was inevitable after a good spell from Scotland.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Holly molly, two goals from free kicks by Sparky, unbelievable. bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Aw bugger, 2-2. Didn't think i'd be scunnered at only drawing this game but geezo, we had it in the bag there and threw it away.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I'd gave taken a draw if offered it before kick off. Was in dreamland when the second free kick put us in front. Didn't think it was a foul but we have suffered from too many bad decisions over the years so wasn't bothered that we got a break for a change. Both free kicks were belters.

Didn't think it was a free kick to England either but we seemed to deal with it but a schoolboy error from Armstrong, he should have gone left or long but played an awful short pass. With him in possession we should have been able to see it out. Good finish from Kane unfortunately.

Griffiths deserved his goals.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Scotland just like putting you through the ringer, they give you hope just to get you all excited, then throw it all away and deflate you. I keep saying i'm not going to invest any time or emotional on them but they suck you in every time, bastards.

2-1 up in injury time and can't just lump the ball up the pitch into the corner like they did for most of the match, luv a duck. On the plus side if we'd got the 3 point i'd have gotten all optimistic again thinking we had a chance of qualifying, so thanks Scotland for doing me a favour on that score and saving me from further agony when we failed to qualify.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:56 am

But we are still in the hunt for second. Win in Lithuania and a draw between the 2 Slovs and there would be 1 point between 3 teams.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

So far so good but i still aint getting drawn into believing they'll* do it, too many time I've gotten all excited about Scotland's chances of qualifying only for them to feck it up in the last game. And even if they win on Sunday they'll likely lose in the play offs.

*not even going to use US when talking about Scotland, nope, not getting drawn in, only to be disappointed AGAIN.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm

We* have to win in Slovenia; Slovakia only have to win at home to Malta; Slovakia are therefore favourites. The only thing in our favour is that Slovenia are out of it & may want to scupper Slovakia, so might lie down for us. That however is highly unlikely.

Much more likely is Slovakia to wipe the floor with Malta & Slovenia to beat us dropping us back to 4th.

*I have no problem using the collective noun, I am a Scot (except on the occasions I choose to swap my kilt for lederhosen & become Austrian & if we play each other I sit on the fence getting skelfs in places I'd rather not have them) & due to my missus I also have an allegiance to the country that must not be named lest Durnford breaks out in hives).
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Nowadays my French Lop pet rabbit is more Scottish than some of the Scotland players. They've a lot of making up to do before i'm getting drawn into calling them we. With Scotland I've adopted your Livi mantra, expect the worst and anything else is a bonus.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:We* have to win in Slovenia; Slovakia only have to win at home to Malta; Slovakia are therefore favourites. The only thing in our favour is that Slovenia are out of it & may want to scupper Slovakia, so might lie down for us. That however is highly unlikely.

Much more likely is Slovakia to wipe the floor with Malta & Slovenia to beat us dropping us back to 4th.

*I have no problem using the collective noun, I am a Scot (except on the occasions I choose to swap my kilt for lederhosen & become Austrian & if we play each other I sit on the fence getting skelfs in places I'd rather not have them) & due to my missus I also have an allegiance to the country that must not be named lest Durnford breaks out in hives).

Surely not another Toront o' abuse?

And you're wrong in one point viz "Slovakia only have to win at home to Malta" as that will only get them to third place. They ls need us to not win in Slovenia.

However I do agree that it wont be easy; Slovenia may be all but out of it now but their players will want to win to save some face. That being said the Slovenian's are really nice people; particularly their women Embarassed
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 am

I've put a bet on every single scenario that would knock us out. My bets usually lose so that's my thinking.

Also means if we don't make the playoffs I win some money.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:12 am

Durnford wrote:
Bertie Bassett wrote:We* have to win in Slovenia; Slovakia only have to win at home to Malta; Slovakia are therefore favourites. The only thing in our favour is that Slovenia are out of it & may want to scupper Slovakia, so might lie down for us. That however is highly unlikely.

Surely not another Toront o' abuse?

And you're wrong in one point viz "Slovakia only have to win at home to Malta" as that will only get them to third place. They ls need us to not win in Slovenia.

However I do agree that it wont be easy; Slovenia may be all but out of it now but their players will want to win to save some face. That being said the Slovenian's are really nice people; particularly their women   Embarassed

You misunderstood my meaning re Slovakia only having to beat Malta; I didn't mean that result alone was sufficient for them to finish second, I meant their task at hand is simply to beat Malta, which they will surely do... Thus we must win or we will not finish 2nd, ergo they have the easier task and are therefore favourites for 2nd place... I also said Slovenia are out of it but if Malta were to pull off the shock of the century & win in Slovakia & Slovenia beat us then I think that would put Slovenia 2nd; so Slovenia could actually approach the game thinking that stranger things have happened so let's beat Scotland & see what happens elsewhere rather than "well Slovakia will win so let's scupper them by letting Scotland have a win by putting up token resistance & gifting them a goal"

Bottom line is we have done exceptionally well to put ourselves in contention after that ridiculous home draw with Lithuania and the 3-0 drubbing in Slovakia but although we are second with one game left we are not favourites to finish second, therefore I wouldn't see it as a major let down after building up our expectations, I would see it as an indication that with a decent crack at developing the squad Strachan might actually have it in him to produce a side capable of qualifying next time, dependent on the quality of opposition of course.

The other thing to bear in mind is that getting to the play-off round would be an achievement but we would also go into that as underdogs. There are some very good sides going to finish second.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Two ex Livi boys scoring the goals for Scotland but it still wasn't enough, no big surprise that we didn't make it again though. The damage was done a while ago in earlier games, negative tactics and poor team selection from Strachan got what we deserved.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Darren Fletcher missed a huge chance to equalise. I thought we did well in the first half but sat too deep and invited them on to us in the 2nd; they were easily better than us in the second until it was too late and we almost nicked it at the death.

We were 4th seeds going in and have finished 3rd so that is a positive, we were 1 goal away from 2nd; either a goal to beat Lithuania at Hampden, a goal tonight or not conceding Kane's late equaliser - any one of those in our favour and we would have been second, all 3 in our favour & we'd have won the group.

Ultimately though the game we were expected to win was at home to Lithuania, we failed to do it & that is our reason for not finishing second.

orco

Post by orco on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 am

No enough ex Livi players in the team. Laughing

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:16 am

I thought Snodgrass did more in ten minutes that James McArthur did in his eighty minutes on the park.
orco

Post by orco on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 am

My heart sank when I saw that McArthur was starting. I like Strachan and I think he is probably good in the dressing room but he is stubbornly refusing to listen to those telling him about in form players. I think it was fan pressure that eventually got him to start using Griffiths but he still dug his heels in re McGregor and McGinn and continues to prefer English based players in the squad to those home based.
I'd keep him because continuity is important and the second half of the campaign was an improvement on the first but I'd like to think that he'd change his ways a bit regarding team selection.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Can't stand Strachan, huffy wee arsehole when things aren't going well, due to his own crap tactics and selection, and gets away with a lot from the press too, but still goes into his acidic sarcastic mode when asked even the softest of questions in post match interviews. Get him to feck if we want to build for the future but it wont happen and we'll continue to stumble along failing to qualify for Euro and WC events.

I can't even muster up a bit of energy to be gutted Scotland failed to qualify now, I didn't expect them to get through the qualifiers. Isn't even an excuse to have average players, there are other Countries able to qualify with average players, even the ones in our own neighbourhood, NI and Eire, Wales have a couple of class players so not including them but even if we had Bale I doubt we'd qualify, we'd still manage to balls it up.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Durnford wrote:I thought Snodgrass did more in ten minutes that James McArthur did in his eighty minutes on the park.

Agreed. Also thought Anya did more than Martin but that S Fletcher was a wasted substitution

I agree with Orco on Strachan although I don't particularly like his personality.

No need to be gutted (or bothered to be gutted) that we didn't qualify for the play offs because we were 4th seeds in the group & not expected to do so. And think how gutted the Welsh must be after their superb showing at the Euros and their 9 game unbeaten run in this qualifying campaign and 4 years unbeaten at home... That IS a failed campaign.

And think how gutted Slovakia will be after Greece beat Gibraltar tomorrow and they join us on the sidelines.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 am

I to get some solace from looking at some of the teams currently in the play-offs. Just our luck we'd have ended up with Italy.

That being said I've looked at groups "H" and "I" and am amazed by the disparity compared with other extremely strong groups.

Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Aye, there are some strangely weak groups

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 am