Irn Bru Cup

orco

Irn Bru Cup

Post by orco on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 pm

I am a bit cheesed off with what is happening to the Iron Bru (challenge) cup.
This used to be a cup that would be won by a lower league club.
Last year we had the introduction of the so called colts teams and teams from other countries.
This season we have more colts, more teams from other countries, with subsequent expense if teams and fans have to travel there, and to cap it all two senior players being allowed into the colts teams as "mentors".
Have they wasted it or is it just me?
Liviforever

Re: Irn Bru Cup

Post by Liviforever on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Quite enjoyed the the Welsh and Irish teams in it last season but the colts teams are a fecking joke. All just in preparation for the 2 arse cheeks being allowed their colts to play in the SPFL lower leagues. If Doncaster is kept in charge it'll eventually happen.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:39 am

Really? More colts & non-Scottish sides this season?

I agree Orco, typical madness from the "powers that be"
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

I'll be saving my money rather than going to any of the games in this cup. Shame, used to enjoy the Challenge Cup.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:15 pm

What about when we get to the final LL? cheers Laughing

I wasn't going to bother with the midweek Morton game as I hate their cramped seats (and their arsehole stewards that stand there glaring at you in case you put your legs over the seat in front to stretch them), but we're away to Brechin on Saturday and I wont be travelling up to that game, so will prob head to Greenock on Tues now to get my footballing fix.
Lexi Collector
Admin

Post by Lexi Collector on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Aye, not arsed about this cup anymore. Thought Petrofac did a great job with it, and everyone seemed to agree that the competition peaked the season we won it.

Getting knocked out by a 'Welsh' team who play their games in England was the last straw for me. Rest some of our big guns in Greenock to avoid any injuries. League games + Hibs have to take massive priority.

FWIW, don't agree with the colt team idea, and certainly don't agree with letting the Welsh and Irish getting involved.
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:23 am

Liviforever wrote:What about when we get to the final LL? cheers Laughing

I'll be happy when we pump Dundee United in the final but will be watching from the comfort of my living room, spending the ticket money on a pizza from dominos.

Every half decent attendance will be used as a reason for the SPFL to justify introducing COLT teams into the leagues, something I really hope Livingston are against. The "mentors" idea only suits the premiership club, even the statement only mentions their benefit and not what the likes of Stirling Albion or Berwick Rangers gain from it. Just a way to make the COLT teams better and a better chance of them progressing = more than good enough for the leagues.

TL;DR - Fuck the Challenge Cup and fuck Neil Doncaster Laughing
Afro

Post by Afro on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Agree with all the sentiments above, folks. The jolly to Belfast last year was pretty spectacular and personally, I'm not really against the addition of the teams from Ireland and Wales; what really grates me is the use of the competition as vehicle to enhance the argument for Colt teams in the league system. Thankfully, it seems like common sense is prevailing amongst the majority of Scottish fans and now clubs as well, I think 6 or so have already come out saying it's a load of tosh. I really hope LFC share a similar position, I'll be honest and say now, if we were in favour I'd have to seriously reconsider actually spending Saturdays watching us. The addition of Colt teams is nothing more than a money grab for the top sides and totally devalues the league competition.

LiviLion wrote:
TL;DR - Fuck the Challenge Cup and fuck Neil Doncaster Laughing

Succinct, and to the point. I like it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:45 pm