David Hopkin

Liviforever

Re: David Hopkin

Post by Liviforever on Thu May 24, 2018 2:40 am

Wouldn't think Morton would be the height of his ambition either, surely he'd want to move onto bigger things than them, so it makes no sense moving down a league wasting a season or two with them and being worse off career wise than he is now. He's already moved past Morton's level with us.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 am

That in itself is the challenge though. The boyhood dream of taking your team & making it the best it can be.

I was hoping for an announcement about him & players before ST’s came out.

Let’s face it, we know as Livi fans that our moments of euphoria are often followed by disappointment.

From my perspective, a crack at survival in the top division has to be worth a go.
orco

Post by orco on Thu May 24, 2018 8:48 am

Apparently he will be having talks with the club on Friday.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:That in itself is the challenge though. The boyhood dream of taking your team & making it the best it can be.

I was hoping for an announcement about him & players before ST’s came out.

Let’s face it, we know as Livi fans that our moments of euphoria are often followed by disappointment.

From my perspective, a crack at survival in the top division has to be worth a go.

Personally I would suggest he's plenty of time to take on the Morton challenge if that's what he wants to do.

Having a crack at the premiership is something that comes along only rarely, if ever, in someone's career. As I recall it took six months or more before his team really started to "click" and we showed ourselves to be so much better than the rest of Div. 1. With the championship I'm not sure a manager would have that breathing space; it doesn't take a bad run of many games to find yourself languishing at the bottom and I think this year is going to be more challenging than the last (without Brechin and Dumbarton to cushion the blow).

For Hopkins surely the best option would be to spend a couple of seasons in the premiership with the team he's moulded so earnestly and then look at options?

For us I suppose it will really come down to the kind of budget he's offered; if he feels he's facing a straight back down scenario then is it really that attractive?
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 am

Yep it will be a togher league next season, wont be easy getting a play off spot either, and Morton fans are a bit desperate to get one. I don't think Duffy was doing a bad job there but was getting pelters from their fans and ultimately punted for not getting a play off spot, with Utd, ICT, Ross County, Partick th, Dunfermline and Falkirk all expected to be competing for top spots Morton isn't exactly guaranteed one, so I don't know why they think they have the right expecting one. With us there was no expectation or pressure on him to do better than 8th place.

Him and Duffy are mates I think, both worked with one another at Morton, he'll know the score there, I think it would be a risky move career wise too. Again no expectation to do well at Livi would be put on him, if we went back down under him it wont damage his rep or stock, but just keeping us up will get him plaudits again.

It took Sevco 2 seasons to get out the Championship, and they were paying their manager 3 times more than our whole squad's budget, Hibs took 3 seasons, Utd are in their 3rd season, we went in as League One champs and straight up in one season, nobody is going to repeat that accomplishment in a while, and not with the budget we had to work with, not even Hoppy.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Thu May 24, 2018 11:28 am

orco wrote:Apparently he will be having talks with the club on Friday.

They sure ken how to drag it out, next Hoppy will be away on his hols and we'll have to wait till he's back before he decides what's happening. Suspect

Some turnaround from 2 season's ago when none of us were keen on him staying on as our manager. Laughing From relegation to back to back promotions, it really is incredible, if someone came up with this as a script for a film they'd be told it was too far fetched and nobody would buy it.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Thu May 24, 2018 11:38 am

Liviforever wrote:It took Sevco 2 seasons and two managers to get out the Championship, and they were paying their manager 3 times more than our whole squad's budget

FIFY
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 am

I was looking to have this announced by now so we could get some players signed back up, the longer we take getting a decision on Hoppy staying the more likely it is for other clubs to come in for our out of contract players, really need to get this done on Friday one way or the other.

Dundee Utd are already sniffing around Shaun Byrne, I don't think Byrne would leave if Hoppy stays though, so hopefully we know on Friday.
orco

Post by orco on Thu May 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Troy

Post by Troy on Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Livi are notorious for the deafening silence that emmits during the close season,theve being doing it for years.After all the euphoria of the last month i think we really need to start to get real here.The respect and camaraderie shown between all the players,management and backroom staff has been a joy to behold.But weve got to move on.I dont want Hoppy or any of the players to go but football is such a fickle game at times and has a nasty habit of kicking you where it hurts when you think everything is rosy in the garden.I share the concerns of my fellow supporters and agree that if Hoppy signs back on it will be a massive boost to all of us and our best shot at those players out of contract for next season.In an ideal world all of those at Firhill on Sunday would get a season ticket for next season and give Hoppy that wee bit extra that he will need should he stay.In any event we will all be there to give the team the support they so richly deserve after what theyve givin to us.Hurry up close season and close. lol!
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Read the match report after that linked article. It had a bullet point list of our rise, fall & rise again.
It claimed we avoided relegation via the play-offs in 2015 before being relegated in 2016. Shoddy research - we had the great escape & cup win in 2015 & were relegated by play-off in 2016.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Thu May 24, 2018 8:59 pm

I like the demotion to the bottom tier patter too, we were royally shafted by the SFL making up the bond pish as a way to do it, knowing with us being in admin it would befall to the administrator to pay it and not McDougall and Livi5, and McDougall wasn't allowed in the room with the cheque to put up the bond, scheming dirty SFL snakes.
orco

Post by orco on Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 am

St Mirren have been given permission to speak to Alloa Athletic's Jim Goodwin and Livingston's David Hopkin as they look to find a replacement for the departed Jack Ross. Former MK Dons boss Robbie Neilson is expected to have initial discussions today, while former Ross County manager Jim McIntyre has also been contacted.

David Hopkin will hold talks with Livingston on Tuesday about his future as manager, with St Mirren, Greenock Morton and Carlisle United keen to talk to the former Crystal Palace and Leeds United midfielder. (Daily Mail, print edition)

Above from the BBC website.
Time for this to be sorted one way or the other.

Also reading that Josh Mullin is off to Ross County.

Might all be a load of paper talk but it is unsettling. This time last year Hopkin was out quickly signing up players and tying up others on new contracts.

I am beginning to get a bad feeling about Hopkin going. If he does then there will likely be an exodus of players with a few following him to wherever he goes? Neutral
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon May 28, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah i'm a bit meh about Mullin going to County, he has an excellent cross on him and contributed greatly in the play offs with a goal and an assist, but his defensive work was very weak and he did drop away for a spell which showed a lack of consistency, not really a player I was bursting for us to keep. It may well be a sign that Hoppy is leaving though, but maybe not, rumours in January of Mullin being unsettled and looking for a move coincided with his dip in form too, so he possibly just had itchy feet.

Troy

Post by Troy on Mon May 28, 2018 11:29 am

Yeh i to share your concerns guys.I seem to recall not to long ago people were shouting for his head.It may be that that is still in the back of his mind although i sincerely hope not.The way that the fans have taken him to their hearts will hopefully persuade him to take the team hes built and have a crack at this.Football has a nasty knack of turning euphoria into gloom and if it happens we will have to take it on the chin.Unfortunitly success sometimes comes at a price and in this case we may have to swollow our pride by accepting any ineviabillity this carries.I really hope im wrong on my assumptions and like the rest of you i await with baited breath.LOL.T.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon May 28, 2018 11:49 am

If he goes it leaves us without a manager, and nobody in place to start signing players back up, it would be a bit of a shambles scrambling about trying to get a manager, then players signed back up, as well as targeting new ones, not an ideal situation for us going into the Premiership. Hoppy signing back up would be massive, to give us the best chance of staying up.

It's all a bit unsettling just now after the euphoria of winning the play offs, this hanging around waiting to know is getting on my tits.
orco

Post by orco on Mon May 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Realistically, with his star in the ascendancy and interest from clubs bigger than us, you could say that the only thing that would keep him here would be loyalty to Livi and let's be honest why would he be? On the other hand he might want to keep the gritty wee team he has built together for a further adventure and maybe feels a bit of attachment to them. Hope it is the latter or I feel for us next season.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm

I hope the board have had the foresight to write up a list of managerial targets in the event of Hoppy not signing, can't afford to hang around and need to get a manager ASAP. Duffy would be my choice, tried to play similar tactics to Hoppy last season but hadn't the back 3 players to do so, he would with Livi though, and is a steady manager who would give us a decent chance of staying up.

We don't want a new manager coming in with a completely different style of football, the less change the better, continuity is important, so if Hoppy isn't staying i'd rather have someone similar to him taking over.
orco

Post by orco on Mon May 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Yeh, in the event of Hopkin going I'd take Duffy. He seems a decent guy

Troy

Post by Troy on Mon May 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Slightly off topic here but im a tad dissapointed that Josh has left us for Ross County.I feel that although he was sometimes moody he was without a doubt an asset to us when he was on his game.He was one off the most vociforous at the POTY about being on our way and going up and ive got footage to prove it.If as i suspect it was for the money then fair dues to him and i wish him well.But on the other hand could he maybe be taking the Buchannon route in thinking he has a better chance of winning something with them therefore possibly hinting that he may not have been able to cut it in the League above with us.Time will tell of course,but we saw how it ended up for Liam.I bare him no ill will and thank him for his service to Livi.Oh and cmon Hoppy,make your mind up only if to eleviate the concerns of us supporters.
orco

Post by orco on Mon May 28, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm not to bothered about Mullin going. There was talk of him wanting away in January as I recall. He never seemed to reach first pick choice for Hoppy the way Pittman and Byrne did. Maybe he thought he was better than that and that's why he's off first.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon May 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Josh like Jordan Thompson, upped his game in the play offs, both played with more energy than i'd seen them in recent games leading up to them, and Josh scored the equaliser against Utd then set up Scotty P's goal against Thistle, so he didn't hide or not give us his all, and contributed to us going up. He wasn't guaranteed a start though and like Nicky Cadden he could be a bit inconsistent, not very good defensively either, his talent was going forward and getting a cross in. Anyway, not too bothered about him leaving, we've a core groupl of 7 players we can build the team around, outside of them i'd say Robinson was the next one i'd want to stay, anyone else i'm not too fussed about.
orco

Post by orco on Mon May 28, 2018 5:18 pm

I'd like to keep Halkett and Byrne too but can't see that unless Hopkins stays. Yes I'd also like Robinson to stay. I don't think we saw the best of him last season with his stop start through injuries and him finding that other players had cemented positions when he was fit. I'm not sure if Cadden is signed up. I'd keep him too. Gregor Buchanan might be another to keep.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Mullin was going great guns before the Jan window opened, faded during it & became a bit part player. I agree he upped his game in the play offs so a wee bit disappointing that he’s gone to a team we are effectively switching places with.

I really would have liked to see this squad augmented with a wee bit experience and given a crack at the stuffed shirt establishment in the bottom half of the top tier.
cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch on Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 am

https://www.facebook.com/livifcofficial/posts/1887164164656749

Sounds like we won't know until hoppy is back from holiday

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 am