The ex-Lions thread

Share
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2117
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:56 pm

Lee McCulloch, like Andy Halliday, was vastly overrated. He would never have been anywhere near my Scotland team.

Rangers haters? Yeah, but not exclusively, we hate more teams than them.

Durnford

Posts : 776
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Durnford on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Lee McCulloch, like Andy Halliday, was vastly overrated. He would never have been anywhere near my Scotland team.

Rangers haters? Yeah, but not exclusively, we hate more teams than them.

Agreed although the old firm are deserving of more than most.

McCulloch got his Scotland call up when he played for Wigan but then that was under Berti Vogts. After that he seemed to hone his skils in being an on field thug. I will be interesting to see if any of that has rub off on his team when we visit them on 8th.

As for Halliday has he ever actually got the Scotland call up? I cant find anything on his stats.

Personally I think Halkett is better than either of them (and i more likely to see out 90 minutes)
avatar
Afro

Posts : 560
Join date : 2014-06-14

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Afro on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 am

The fact Andy Halliday was heralded in certain quarters for a Scotland call-up the season before last is just symptomatic of the fucked degree of influence the media have in the country... Was a promising young player for us, looks like he didn't do much down South and then got a free pass from a lot of Rangers fans for about 18 months since he was "one of their own". Given that he seems to have moved from being an AM to a thuggish twat in central midfield like McCulloch says a lot about him, too. Being punted to Azerbaijan just tops it off IMO.

ol1vercloff

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by ol1vercloff on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Durnford wrote:Personally I think Halkett is better than either of them (and i more likely to see out 90 minutes)

The fact Halkett never managed to break into the first team at Rangers maybe indicates that's not strictly true.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 860
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 21
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by LiviLion on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm

As said above, he was only loved at Rangers because he was exactly the same as most of their support - a complete arsehole. He can take a decent shot every now and then, other than that he's pish. He'd be about 4th choice for us tbh.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3778
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Liviforever on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:54 pm

Halkett has developed over the last couple of seasons and is a far better player now than he was at Newco, so you couldn't compare Halliday and him when they played there. Right now i'd agree with Durnford, Halkett is a better player than Halliday, although they play in different positions too so you can't compare like for like, but Halkett is far better at doing what his position is meant to do than Halliday is at in his role in midfield.

All irrelevant now anyway, he's off to another country and isn't even wanted by the manager at Newco, who must have sussed out exactly what Halliday brings to the team and didn't want it.

ol1vercloff

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by ol1vercloff on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:59 pm

I hope we never have to pick a team based on personality. We'll be snookered.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2117
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 pm

ol1vercloff wrote:
Durnford wrote:Personally I think Halkett is better than either of them (and i more likely to see out 90 minutes)

The fact Halkett never managed to break into the first team at Rangers maybe indicates that's not strictly true.

Aye... Cause the Huns have always been such a good judges of a player right enough.

Dave McPherson's performances in maroon were light years better than those in blue.
Craig Patterson's performances likewise in green rather blue.

the only time Rangers ever had players that could actually play was in the Souness/Smith era...and that was largely because of the English & foreign players bought in with 1 or 2 decent youngsters like Durrant.

avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2117
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 pm

ol1vercloff wrote:I hope we never have to pick a team based on personality.  We'll be snookered.

On that we agree, give me guys with ability over personality every day of the week.

Got to wonder if the Huns are your "wee team"?

ol1vercloff

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by ol1vercloff on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:
ol1vercloff wrote:
Durnford wrote:Personally I think Halkett is better than either of them (and i more likely to see out 90 minutes)

The fact Halkett never managed to break into the first team at Rangers maybe indicates that's not strictly true.

Aye... Cause the Huns have always been such a good judges of a player right enough.

Dave McPherson's performances in maroon were light years better than those in blue.
Craig Patterson's performances likewise in green rather blue.

the only time Rangers ever had players that could actually play was in the Souness/Smith era...and that was largely because of the English & foreign players bought in with 1 or 2 decent youngsters like Durrant.


Talk about tangents lol I'd say given their success pre and post Sevco, they've done alright judging players overall. No club gets it spot on 100% of the time but I'd love Livi to have had similar success to them.

No soft spots for any other team other than Livingston. Got to wonder if you're a former Rangers hating Jambo. Or a Tim Laughing
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2117
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:45 am

You don't have to wonder, I've gone on record many times regarding my conversion thanks to the clubs' free school tickets scheme in the late 90's, although I had also been known to attend MTFC games at Meadowbank long before that (still got a MTFC scarf I think). Bought our first ST's for the 1st top flight season & haven't failed to renew since... Not done it yet for next season but thanks to some financial wizardry I should rectify that tomorrow.

I dislike the Huns, Celts & Hubs with equal measure but appreciate good football & good footballers whatever team they play for. On the other side of that, I dislike thuggery on the pitch & the main exponents of that over the years have worn blue shirts.

Durnford

Posts : 776
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Durnford on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote: On the other side of that, I dislike thuggery on the pitch & the main exponents of that over the years have worn blue shirts.

Errrm.... not forgetting Lennon and Brown are we?

Durnford

Posts : 776
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Durnford on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:03 pm

ol1vercloff wrote:Talk about tangents lol I'd say given their success pre and post Sevco, they've done alright judging players overall. No club gets it spot on 100% of the time but I'd love Livi to have had similar success to them.

Sorry but given their budget I think even Gary Locke could have made a success of that. However with post administration what players have they actually discovered and developed?



avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3778
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Durnford wrote:
Bertie Bassett wrote: On the other side of that, I dislike thuggery on the pitch & the main exponents of that over the years have worn blue shirts.

Errrm.... not forgetting Lennon and Brown are we?

Elbows McCulloch for the blue side and elbows Hartson for the green, and I absolutely hated playing Celtic when Balde was there, we always had a casualty list afterwards. In one game he injured Barry Wilson, Davy Bingham and Fernandez, our 3 best players.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3778
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Durnford wrote:
ol1vercloff wrote:Talk about tangents lol I'd say given their success pre and post Sevco, they've done alright judging players overall. No club gets it spot on 100% of the time but I'd love Livi to have had similar success to them.

Sorry but given their budget I think even Gary Locke could have made a success of that. However with post administration what players have they actually discovered and developed?




Never mind post administration, they were liquidated, deid, no longer living, expired, that club no longer exists no matter what twaddle they invented to say it does.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3778
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:14 pm

cptn_hooch wrote:Andy halliday has reportedly been told to train with the under 20s squad and won't be needed at Ibrox this season. Wouldn't mind a wee loan deal for him this season


See what you started. lol!

ol1vercloff

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-05-18

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by ol1vercloff on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Durnford wrote:
ol1vercloff wrote:Talk about tangents lol I'd say given their success pre and post Sevco, they've done alright judging players overall. No club gets it spot on 100% of the time but I'd love Livi to have had similar success to them.

Sorry but given their budget I think even Gary Locke could have made a success of that. However with post administration what players have they actually discovered and developed?




I appreciate what you're getting at but Gary Locke was a bad example to use there...everything he touches turns to jobby Laughing

Rangers are just a new team, finding their way in league football. Unfortunately, I imagine in a few years they'll have overtaken Aberdeen and be securing their favourite second spot season after season whilst churning out decent players. Throw enough money at something etc.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2117
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:46 pm

No, not forgetting those bruisers from the green side of Glasgow but when it came to playing with flair the greens have usually been more attractive to watch than the blues, there have been exceptions like Laudrup but Roberts, Souness, John Brown, Hurlock & I've not even started thinking yet...even Wilkins & Butcher knew how to leave their mark
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3778
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Mark Millar signed for Forfar. Wonder if they're paying him more than Livi offered him, glad he's away anyway, wasn't impressed with him last season.
avatar
orco

Posts : 416
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by orco on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Liviforever wrote:Mark Millar signed for Forfar. Wonder if they're paying him more than Livi offered him, glad he's away anyway, wasn't impressed with him last season.

Strange one that. scratch
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2117
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 pm

More chance of being 1st choice at Forfar than at Livi I suspect, so not as strange as it appears.

He looked OK in his early games for us but was not as good as the other midfielders during the run-in.

Durnford

Posts : 776
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Durnford on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:More chance of being 1st choice at Forfar than at Livi I suspect, so not as strange as it appears.

He looked OK in his early games for us but was not as good as the other midfielders during the run-in.

When he could be arsed he looked okay; passing was better than most; but unfortunately most of the time he just looked disinterested. Maybe he felt he was being played out of position but there you go. No place for prima-donas in our club really.
avatar
orco

Posts : 416
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by orco on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:51 pm

So, doubles for two ex Livi players who are now with Old Firm teams.
What would Scottish fitba' be withoot the Livi conveyor belt of talent? Laughing


Last edited by orco on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3778
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Liviforever on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:19 pm

That'll be Dorrans picked for the next Scotland game now that he's signed and scored goals for Sevco.
avatar
cptn_hooch

Posts : 93
Join date : 2014-09-15

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by cptn_hooch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Good luck to Dorrans. Always liked him as a player and thought he maybe moved down south too early. Hope he does well for them

Sponsored content

Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 am