Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Share
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Who is this Thompson you refer to?

Kevin Thomson, a Sevco youth coach.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Ex Hibs player?

Durnford

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Durnford on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:00 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Who is this Thompson you refer to?

From the Daily Record;

Rangers youth coach Kevin Thomson is the latest name to throw his hat into the ring, while Kenny Miller and Jim Duffy are believed to be among the leading candidates.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:13 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Ex Hibs player?

Yep.

He's been putting himself about for the job and is all over the media telling everyone how good he'd be at Livingston.

I see John Robertson is now rumoured to be linked to the Livi manager's job.

I read Martindale is the one doing the recruiting for players, as well as the interviews for the managerial position, and nothing will be done till he comes back from his hols a week on Saturday, so a shortlist wont be written up till then.

The transfer window opens up again on Saturday, wonder if that means no players can be signed till he gets back the following Sat too, going to be a slow week with nothing happening if it does.

John Ward insisting the club do not plan to draw up a short-list for the vacant manager’s job for at least another nine days.
Assistant manager David Martindale is leading the search for a replacement to Hopkin but is currently on holiday until next Saturday.
Ward, who has previously said the new manager must agree to work with the existing coaching and backroom team, said: “David Martindale is on holiday until a week on Saturday and won’t draw up the shortlist until then, so it will be a week or two before we’re making any announcements.
“He is speaking to people and taking calls and is continuing to work on this on the club’s behalf.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/1492161/caley-jags-boss-robertson-linked-with-return-to-livingston/

Durnford

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Durnford on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:55 pm

So we've got to sit around for another week and a half then before any news; that's not frustrating at all.

Arrow
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 1003
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by LiviLion on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:13 pm

I really hope that's not true, or at least not what it sounds like. Hoping it's some weird situation where we'll still be doing interviews etc and narrowing it down before Martindale makes a decision on who he'd most like to work with out of the selected few.

Very frustrating if we are just sitting with a thumb up the arse until he gets back from holiday, we'll most likely only be left with the shite and desperate managers.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Same with players LL, look what happened when Burchill was hamstrung with the transfer embargo, by the time it was lifted all he was left with was 2nd and 3rd choice players, we need to be getting players targeted and signed up asap, really shouldn't be sitting idle for 9 days while Martindale is on his hols.

Troy

Posts : 409
Join date : 2015-11-10
Age : 60
Location : Craigshill

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Troy on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Find myself agreeing with both of the above.As ive said before Livi have an awfull habit of dragging their heels when it comes to matters like this.Whilst all clubs in this situation will tell you that their taking their time to make sure they get it right i feel the board is being a bit silly over this much to the frustration of the support.Correct me if im wrong but isnt David Martindale an employee of Livingston FC.Im not believing for one minute that the decision as to who will be our next manager will be down to who he gets along with the most.Try doing it at your own place of work and see how far it gets you.Think the board albeit the wonderfull job theyve been doing recently need to grow a pair and get this sorted out before the boat sails.If weve got to wait the length of time that has been suggested the new manager whoever it may be is going to have such little time before the new season begins.The clock is ticking so come on Livi get this sorted before as Livilion says we are left with the dregs.Im away for a lie doon.LOL T. confused
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:48 pm

No idea what Martindale's role is, he seems to have a fair bit of influence at the club and I remember it going back to when Rankine was here. He put money into the club and has some sort of deal on the back of that. He was virtually running the place doing all the jobs down at the stadium.

Looks like StMirren have got their manager sorted, so they'll be making moves getting players in next week. Really hope someone is going to be doing the same with us and we are making moves to get players signed too.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 pm

I refer you all to the final line of LF’s extract from the P&J article, it says that DM is taking calls & talking to people. Doesn’t sound like he is doing nothing or that nothing is happening during his hols.

Remember guys there is a World Cup about to happen... clubs will be hanging fire on signings until they see who shines in that. There are bound to be some WC stars that will want to sign for the mighty Livi! lol!

avatar
cptn_hooch

Posts : 138
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Carstairs

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by cptn_hooch on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Paul Barnes from STV has tweeted a supposed shortlist for the job...makes pretty grim reading IMO

Kenny Miller (player manager)
Jim Duffy
Gary Holt
Kevin Thompson
Gary Caldwell
Gavin Skelton
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 1003
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by LiviLion on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Daily Record reporting that Henrik Larsson has turned us down.

They're at least right in the sense that he was involved... he applied but his wage demands were too high so we turned him down.


That list above just made me a little bit depressed, must be bad when Jim fucking Duffy is probably the least uninspiring name there.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 1003
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by LiviLion on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Actually I've just noticed I had a brain fart and Gary Holt isn't the same person as Gary Locke, I'd take him ahead of Duffy.

Holt, Duffy, Caldwell, Skelton, Miller, Thompson would be my order of preference from the list. Hope there are a couple other names on our radar though.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:22 pm

I'd have went for Duffy as soon as Hoppy said he was leaving, in fact it was him I wanted even when there was doubts over Hoppy staying and I started thinking about a new manager. Haven't seen anyone I'd pick over him from any names mentioned anyway.
avatar
Afro

Posts : 664
Join date : 2014-06-14

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Afro on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Jim Duffy is an absolute dinosaur. No way he should be anywhere near the Livingston job let alone any job in the Championship.

Kenny Miller is a non-starter for me. Something happened that forced him out of Sevco, whether or not that was his own doing is up for debate, but there's no smoke without fire... And he also couldn't hit a barn door, so no thanks.

Caldwell done well at Wigan to a degree, then the arse fell out of them. A disastrous spell in charge of Chesterfield, and I can't help but feel if he winds up with us it'll end up like Owen Coyle at Ross County. Again, no thanks.

Gavin Skelton and Kevin Thompson - maybe if we were in the Championship, but not for the top flight.

Gary Holt is an interesting one, had Falkirk playing some very good stuff with essentially a youth side and seems highly regarded at Norwich City. If it's anyone off that shortlist, he'd probably be my pick.

Hoping we've not discarded names like Gregg Ryder, would rather see him at least have a chance to talk to the club as he seems to fit the David Hopkin mould very well.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Afro wrote:Jim Duffy is an absolute dinosaur. No way he should be anywhere near the Livingston job let alone any job in the Championship.



Kenny Miller is a non-starter for me. Something happened that forced him out of Sevco, whether or not that was his own doing is up for debate, but there's no smoke without fire... And he also couldn't hit a barn door, so no thanks.

Caldwell done well at Wigan to a degree, then the arse fell out of them. A disastrous spell in charge of Chesterfield, and I can't help but feel if he winds up with us it'll end up like Owen Coyle at Ross County. Again, no thanks.

Gavin Skelton and Kevin Thompson - maybe if we were in the Championship, but not for the top flight.

Gary Holt is an interesting one, had Falkirk playing some very good stuff with essentially a youth side and seems highly regarded at Norwich City. If it's anyone off that shortlist, he'd probably be my pick.

Hoping we've not discarded names like Gregg Ryder, would rather see him at least have a chance to talk to the club as he seems to fit the David Hopkin mould very well.

Razz

Really hoping we get Duffy now. Laughing

Durnford

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Durnford on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Afro wrote:Jim Duffy is an absolute dinosaur. No way he should be anywhere near the Livingston job let alone any job in the Championship.

Kenny Miller is a non-starter for me. Something happened that forced him out of Sevco, whether or not that was his own doing is up for debate, but there's no smoke without fire... And he also couldn't hit a barn door, so no thanks.

Caldwell done well at Wigan to a degree, then the arse fell out of them. A disastrous spell in charge of Chesterfield, and I can't help but feel if he winds up with us it'll end up like Owen Coyle at Ross County. Again, no thanks.

Gavin Skelton and Kevin Thompson - maybe if we were in the Championship, but not for the top flight.

Gary Holt is an interesting one, had Falkirk playing some very good stuff with essentially a youth side and seems highly regarded at Norwich City. If it's anyone off that shortlist, he'd probably be my pick.

Hoping we've not discarded names like Gregg Ryder, would rather see him at least have a chance to talk to the club as he seems to fit the David Hopkin mould very well.

Don't see how you're so keen on Ryder; as far as I can see he's done moderately well in a country with less than half the population of Edinburgh which has 76 clubs in four divisions and his last team is sitting third in the second tier.

Seriously he may end up being great but I'm not sure his current pedigree would indicate anything more than a mid table 1st division side.

Surely anyone else on that list would be a preferable choice?
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:18 am

Yeah lets not get carried away with us winning promotion through the play offs, we had to over achieve massively to do that and we'll have to do much the same to stay up this season. We can't afford proven Premiership players and are continuing our signing policy of young players with potential or players with a point to prove from being at bigger teams prev to us, it has served us well so far and will hopefully do so again this season, but in the event of being relegated Duffy would be an experienced Championship manager who would have us as a solid team playing there. I really don't see him as a risk like others on that list, and I think he'd do a decent job of having us competitive in the Premiership too.

He may not be young and exciting but imo all we want is steady and solid to make sure we either stay up or go down fighting. Then are in good shape if we drop down a tier. Last thing we want is some untried manager coming in and making us a shambles for when we drop down to the Championship.

Durnford

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Durnford on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:15 am

Liviforever wrote:Yeah lets not get carried away with us winning promotion through the play offs, we had to over achieve massively to do that and we'll have to do much the same to stay up this season. We can't afford proven Premiership players and are continuing our signing policy of young players with potential or players with a point to prove from being at bigger teams prev to us, it has served us well so far and will hopefully do so again this season, but in the event of being relegated Duffy would be an experienced Championship manager who would have us as a solid team playing there. I really don't see him as a risk like others on that list, and I think he'd do a decent job of having us competitive in the Premiership too.

He may not be young and exciting but imo all we want is steady and solid to make sure we either stay up or go down fighting. Then are in good shape if we drop down a tier. Last thing we want is some untried manager coming in and making us a shambles for when we drop down to the Championship.

Agreed LL.

Actually looking at Crystal Palace as an example for last season (yes I know the budgets are light years apart but bear with me); they brought in Frank De Boer to replace Allinson who had done a job in keeping them up the year before. De Boer was young; had some pedigree but for the most part was unproven.

The start to the season was well known; record losing streak without a goal scored (actually the pre season tournament in China wasn't much better if truth be told).

After a few games he's booted out and they bring in Roy Hodgeson; not really a guy to inspire with exciting football etc. but he did the job; an almost impossible task and they ended up 11th in the league.

The question is do we want to bring someone in who will give us a fighting chance of staying up, uninspiring as that may be for many, or bring in an unknown bearing in mind our budget is a limiting factor?

The prospect of Duffy doesn't excite me but I do think he'll give us a good chance of staying up.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 1003
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by LiviLion on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am

Durnford wrote:
Don't see how you're so keen on Ryder; as far as I can see he's done moderately well in  a country with less than half the population of Edinburgh which  has 76 clubs in four divisions and his last team is sitting third in the second tier.

Seriously he may end up being great but I'm not sure his current pedigree would indicate anything more than a mid table 1st division side.

Surely anyone else on that list would be a preferable choice?

David Hopkin's last team only finished 2nd in the second tier, I don't think that'll stop teams looking at him.

By the sounds of it he's worked with small budgets and likes to have an organised team, sounds familiar. I'd much rather we went for him with a risk rather than a known failure like Duffy.

Durnford

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Durnford on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 pm

LiviLion wrote:
Durnford wrote:
Don't see how you're so keen on Ryder; as far as I can see he's done moderately well in  a country with less than half the population of Edinburgh which  has 76 clubs in four divisions and his last team is sitting third in the second tier.

Seriously he may end up being great but I'm not sure his current pedigree would indicate anything more than a mid table 1st division side.

Surely anyone else on that list would be a preferable choice?

David Hopkin's last team only finished 2nd in the second tier, I don't think that'll stop teams looking at him.

By the sounds of it he's worked with small budgets and likes to have an organised team, sounds familiar. I'd much rather we went for him with a risk rather than a known failure like Duffy.

But comparing 2nd place in the Scottish championship with the 2nd Tier of the Icelandic league is like comparing us with the East of Scotland League - Actually the third place in that league was won by Preston Athletic; would their manager really be more suitable than Duffy who got Dundee to the cup final; got them into the UEFA cup; he managed to keep them in league for a season following the club going into administration and losing most of their star players; he got Clyde into the playoffs and turned a defeated Morton side around and got them promoted. He's had his bad tmes as well mainly as assistant or caretaker manager but he's also won manager of the month quite a few times. Not exactly a "known failure" in my book; maybe not exciting but possibly a safe pair of hands.

Currently we have a plan that works; may not be pretty but it has been catching others out. Ultimately if we're aiming to persist with this (and judging by our recent recruitment we are) then we need a manager who is also a fighter. Obviously Hopkins came to us with no management experience and studying under Burchill was possibly not the best start; we were demoted but it gave him time to get to know the team and them to get to know him.

I suppose it depends on whether you think we can battle to stay in the premiership or whether we are goign to get demoted and then work our way back?
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Liviforever on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Good post Durnford, certainly isn't a known failure, that's just complete nonsense.

His record at Morton was pretty good, got them promoted winning League One, finished 5th in a strong Championship with Sevco and Hibs in it, then 4th place play offs the next season, and after being in the play off positions dropping down to 7th this season, comfortably away from the bottom 2 places. That would be classed as good had that been Livi's last 4 seasons.

The main thing seems to be that we carry on from last season. The spine of the team almost in place and some new signings to bulk out our squad and try to have everyone about the same quality, so whoever comes into the team doesn't cause the standard to drop.
And a manager who wont upset that balance, he'll have to be able to get along and work well with Martindale anyway, that much is clear.
avatar
orco

Posts : 584
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by orco on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I'd take Duffy nae bother. I am not keen on someone coming straight into the club with no managerial experience. Different with Hopkin. He was already here and knew the club and the players.

Durnford

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2014-10-23

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Durnford on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm

And he didn't queer the pitch last season by making silly comments about us being overly physical, or "agricultural" as the TV like to refer to us, and always claiming his team had an off-day.

I think many of the guys will respect him for that at least.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 1003
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by LiviLion on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:19 am

Durnford wrote:

But comparing 2nd place in the Scottish championship with the 2nd Tier of the Icelandic league is like comparing us with the East of Scotland League - Actually the third place in that league was won by Preston Athletic; would their manager really be more suitable than Duffy who got Dundee to the cup final; got them into the UEFA cup; he managed to keep them in league for a season following the club going into administration and losing most of their star players; he got Clyde into the playoffs and turned a defeated Morton side around and got them promoted. He's had his bad tmes as well mainly as assistant or caretaker manager but he's also won manager of the month quite a few times. Not exactly a "known failure" in my book; maybe not exciting but possibly a safe pair of hands.

Currently we have a plan that works; may not be pretty but it has been catching others out. Ultimately if we're aiming to persist with this (and judging by our recent recruitment we are) then we need a manager who is also a fighter. Obviously Hopkins came to us with no management experience and studying under Burchill was possibly not the best start; we were demoted but it gave him time to get to know the team and them to get to know him.

I suppose it depends on whether you think we can battle to stay in the premiership or whether we are goign to get demoted and then work our way back?

Main point being that dismissing someone because of the league they were last in or them not being a well known name is the kind of thing you get down south. I'm not saying he'd fire us into Europe but he fits what John Ward spoke about in that he wouldn't look to bring in his own staff, done a good enough job on a small budget and had an organised team.

Duffy started handing us some free points last season, not to mention the rest of the league. He might have had success in the past but he seems past that now. If he did get the job I'd love to be proven wrong in fantastic Hopkin fashion, but it's the name that doesn't inspire me at all.

Sponsored content

Re: Who Will Be Our New Manager?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 am