Championship Campaign

Share
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Championship Campaign

Post by Liviforever on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:47 pm

We compete well in most games, but we seem to have a distinct lack of goals in the team this season.

White isn't going to score in every game (stating the obv here as we've not scored in our last 4 games), Glen seems unable to score, Ogleby hasn't impressed with any shots I've seen him have, and Mullen isn't much better, the Hippo hasn't scored a league goal either, so really could do with some from midfield. Even our defenders have chipped in more than the midfield.
avatar
Smithy

Posts : 574
Join date : 2014-07-01

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Smithy on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:36 am

Liviforever wrote:We compete well in most games, but we seem to have a distinct lack of goals in the team this season.

White isn't going to score in every game (stating the obv here as we've not scored in our last 4 games), Glen seems unable to score, Ogleby hasn't impressed with any shots I've seen him have, and Mullen isn't much better, the Hippo hasn't scored a league goal either, so really could do with some from midfield. Even our defenders have chipped in more than the midfield.

Think we really need to try and create more for White. Keaghan needs to pass slide rule balls through to him because atm he has a tendency to go wide to McKenna who has not really got the best delivery. Rutherford put a decent ball into the box v Rangers which White got onto and his shot was just wide, but we need more opportunities for him as he will score as he is far more composed than Glen and Mullen and has a decent goal scoring average ........as well as feed the hippo ..we need to find White more and I'm sure he will score if we do.

I'm impressed by the the way Keaghan runs turns and dictates play in the middle of the park , but if there is no killer pass or end product , what is the point of pretty football without goals?

Cmon Keaghan lets see the passes that make the goals!
avatar
orco

Posts : 426
Join date : 2014-06-10

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by orco on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't know what they do in training but the emphasis needs to be more on passing. I remember reading that Beckham used to stay after training when he was a youngster and fire shots to the hole in the middle of a tyre hung from the goal. Didn't do him any harm.
avatar
LiviLion

Posts : 882
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 21
Location : Livingston

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by LiviLion on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 pm

orco wrote:I don't know what they do in training but the emphasis needs to be more on passing. I remember reading that Beckham used to stay after training when he was a youngster and fire shots to the hole in the middle of a tyre hung from the goal. Didn't do him any harm.

Think we could do with a bit of work on our finishing too.
avatar
Smithy

Posts : 574
Join date : 2014-07-01

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Smithy on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Passes make goals we need to create good chances from centre mid and the flanks mate. Good chances not  feeding off scraps or half chances. Wild shots from distance is not the answer at all. We can't really blame Gary Glen as he has never scored lots of goals,accordint to his Wiki , but White is a finisher IMO and we need to give him more opportunities to score. Same with Hippo when he is on the park. Get the ball to the two of them in the box and we will have more chances to score. That's my feeling having watched the first dozen or so games this season.
avatar
Liviforever

Posts : 3859
Join date : 2014-06-10
Location : Livingston

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Liviforever on Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Results today went our way.

Alloa lost to Hearts and Hibs drew with Dumbarton. Just need to get a win ourselves in our game against Hibs next week and we're back in the mix towards the mid table group going for 4th spot.
avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Lexi Collector on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Surely we can't lose to Hibs. They're absolute shit.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Smithy wrote:Passes make goals we need to create good chances from centre mid and the flanks mate. Good chances not  feeding off scraps or half chances. Wild shots from distance is not the answer at all. We can't really blame Gary Glen as he has never scored lots of goals,accordint to his Wiki , but White is a finisher IMO and we need to give him more opportunities to score. Same with Hippo when he is on the park. Get the ball to the two of them in the box and we will have more chances to score. That's my feeling having watched the first dozen or so games this season.

However, shots from distance that are on target & White following in to snap up the rebound also works.....he did it against Alloa. Celtic circa 1982-1988 scored barrowloads with the likes of Nicholas, McAvenny, Walker & co following up on long range efforts from McLeod.

Passes only lead to goals when they are constructive in moving the ball forward; too often we go side ways & back which would be okay if we kept possession...but we don't always manage that.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:Surely we can't lose to Hibs. They're absolute shit.

Rangers 1 Hibs 3
Livi 0 Rangers 1

Hibs 0 Dumbarton 0
Dumbarton 1 Livi 0

Hearts 2 Hibs 1
Hearts 5 Livi 0

I know that just because Team A beats Team B & Team B beats Team C there is no guarantee that Team A will beat Team C (Livi 4 Alloa 0; Alloa 1 Rangers 1; Livi 0 Rangers 1 for example)

But throw into the mix Hibs 2 Livi 1 & your own assessment of Livi so far this season & I fail to see where your confidence comes from.

avatar
Lexi Collector
Admin

Posts : 785
Join date : 2014-06-10
Age : 24

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Lexi Collector on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Tbf, I've been the most critical/least confident this season. I just look at their results of late, and feel if some of these teams get a result against Hibs, they when really ought to be looking for one too. Otherwise we really have no bottle at all.

I'm sure most Livi fans will be frustrated/angry if we lose next Saturday. Bet you a 10er we do as well.
avatar
Bertie Bassett

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2014-07-25
Location : Livingston

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:46 pm

Hope you are sitting down...I agree!! We should be capable of getting results against them when the likes of Dumbarton can take a point etc but as per my last post football doesn't always work out that way.

I suspect a draw at best next week.
avatar
Smithy

Posts : 574
Join date : 2014-07-01

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Smithy on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:48 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:
Smithy wrote:Passes make goals we need to create good chances from centre mid and the flanks mate. Good chances not  feeding off scraps or half chances. Wild shots from distance is not the answer at all. We can't really blame Gary Glen as he has never scored lots of goals,accordint to his Wiki , but White is a finisher IMO and we need to give him more opportunities to score. Same with Hippo when he is on the park. Get the ball to the two of them in the box and we will have more chances to score. That's my feeling having watched the first dozen or so games this season.

However, shots from distance that are on target & White following in to snap up the rebound also works.....he did it against Alloa. Celtic circa 1982-1988 scored barrowloads with the likes of Nicholas, McAvenny, Walker & co following up on long range efforts from McLeod.

Passes only lead to goals when they are constructive in moving the ball forward; too often we go side ways & back which would be okay if we kept possession...but we don't always manage that.
brilliant point well made Bertie.

Sponsored content

Re: Championship Campaign

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:32 am